After all the warnings made on television and radio in the last days for the upcoming storm … here it is.
My region (north Brussels) is not (yet?) in the middle of the whole force of nature and I ‘m thus lucky.
Yesterday morning I’ve put everything close together on my terraces and cleaned it a little up and the result so far is that the plants that still had some leafs, don’t have any left on their branches (or some little ones): the wind did a good job, but nothing is broken, or felt down.
As the most of my little trees are on plant stand on wheels, they just ‘traveled’ a little on my terrace J.
In my street all trees are still standing, some branches on the ground, but only small ones.
I hear on the radio that lots of family’s in France are without electricity; Belgium is one of the countries that invested on most places in underground pipes filled with everything that’s necessary for fixed phone lines, electricity, gas and all the rest … so most of our electricity is underground. That makes that a lot of times for any kind of repair or work we have open footpaths, but on the other hand a storm wind won’t get down as many poles with all kind of cables as in neighbor-countries. Luckily it’s also the start today of a holiday week for school, so less people are on the road…
when I started writing this, wind was getting calmer, now it starts again blowing very hard … it’s changing so quickly. In a few minutes time I see a total different sky, filled with other clouds…
Weather services on the radio still warn for 100km/per hour winds till midday … so I’m staying home.
My neighbors on the other side of the street went on holiday and left their windows open… don’t think those curtains will survive longtime L.
Meanwhile I knitted a new hat for my little Q.
A simple hat knitted top down: start with 6 stitches (on four needles), increase every two rows with one stitch six times, till the width that you need, all in stockinette – I measured his head while he was looking at a little book on my knees.
I made a big border and continued in 1Knit,1Purl and decreased in the first row every 7 stitches, otherwise it would be too wide. Here you’ve got to look the kind of wool you use, if it’s very elastic you could decrease less, if not, you might decrease more.
I used merino - pure wool – 100m on 50 gr & needed two balls including the pompons, and knitted with needles of 4mm. When I had the height needed, I bind off the neck and front stitches. I never put earflaps in the middle but a little more to the back of the head. I finished with a crab stitch on the front border. Then still two cords I made with the small knitting mill – or you could make an I-cord with just the same result!
I have a few meters left of my two balls, so 200m is more than enough to make two big pompons, two i-cords on a cap with a height of 20cm (without measuring earflaps) and circumference of +/-45cm.
I made the border very elastic.so it would stay stretchy
I have the same red color in thinner yarn, still pure wool, and now I’ll make him some mittens. And then he’ll need a scarf.
Still a lot to do J
Hope you don’t have to travel far today and that you don’t have damages. Have a nice day!